November 2, 2010

My "Now" in Three Quotes

“…[H]e allowed himself to be swayed by his conviction that human beings are not born once and for all on the day their mothers give birth to them,
but that life obliges them over and over again
to give birth to themselves.”

— Gabriel Garcia Marquez, “Love In The Time Of Cholera”


“Now I am quietly waiting for
the catastrophe of my personality
to seem beautiful again,
and interesting, and modern."

-- A segment of Mayakovsky, by Frank O’Hara


“And at the end of the day (my life), I will not be devoid, even if my results are nominal. I will have put energy out there. I will have tried to instill the same values in possible children to continue the fight. People won’t read my name on a tombstone and laugh and point and shout out FOOL’S ERRAND because goddammit I am enjoying myself through the hard work and the failures and the tough nature of the WAY THINGS ARE and at the very least I can count myself as someone who stood on his own feet and cared about people and believed in things and wasn’t some lemming stooge who bought the party line on How Things Work.”

I collect words and images (and sometimes notes) over here

No comments:

Post a Comment