January 18, 2011

In Which I Ask For Advice

I packed up my things in my CRV, and if it didn't fit, I didn't bring it.

This means I'm sans television and I'm not sure how I feel about that. I'm also not sure we have cable in the apartment - my roommate says no, but I have about three cable cords in my room, which makes me think that the guy living here before was watching TV. And I think the roommate (who is thus non-existent and handles the cable bill) has a TV in her basement lair suite. REGARDLESS, not having television could be a great thing - it won't be a time suck and I can watch shows on my own time on the internet.  But I also know that television dulls loneliness and I could use some of that right now.  (Did I mention my roommates are practically non-existent?) I've gone without television for months before, so I don't think it would be a huge shock to my system. But I'm also not one to waste a lot of time in front of a TV, so not having one is a bit of a drastic measure to avoid wasting time. And it is nice to put it on in the background and/or get lost in it after a long day. Do you have any thoughts on TV v. No TV?

This also means that I don't have any "real" furniture. I'm sleeping on an Areobed. It's higher than a normal air mattress, and so far it has been fine (advantage of being tiny!), but I want to ask your opinion. Do you guys have experience sleeping on air mattress long-term? How long can I go before I have to cave in and buy a bed? (Please say at least six months...) Also, I thought I would have to buy plastic drawers to store my clothing, but so far I seem to have enough room (read: I have two closets!). But - any thoughts on great ways to store clothing that doesn't involve heavy furniture (in the event that I do need more storage space)?

2 comments:

  1. Hellooo Soul Sister.
    Okay, now it's getting creepy.
    1. I don't have a TV. I used to hate it, but now I love it. I watch DVDs of shows & use Hulu on snowdays, but otherwise I'm finding it far more productive to not have a TV. I also think I devote more attention to music now, which I love.
    2. I've been sleeping on an air mattress since January. I don't love it, but I also don't have to move a mattress/boxspring/bedframe out of here in two weeks. Also, I can move it where ever if need be. I may not buy a real bed, even for my new place.
    3. I use those plastic drawers most people use in college for my clothes. I think the whole (collapsible) thing weighs less than 5 lbs. Not much space, but I hang everything that doesn't fit in there, plus those hooks that go on the wall (the ones that promise not to tear off pieces when removed) work like magic.

    Hope this helped! :) <3 <3 <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thought: Just make sure the air mattress is firm
    Thought: buying cheap cute baskets/fabric bins for your socks/undies or using your ladder bookcase as a pretty shelf for clothes
    Best Thought: me coming to visit you in DC this spring (cherry blossom festival???), bringing Alivia and the three of us stumbling around DC b/c our cameras will be in front of our faces!!!!!

    ReplyDelete