May 9, 2012

Another Type of NYC Post

Untitled

Most of my "life plans" contain a fair amount of "shit, how am I going to do this?" Usually this ingredient derives from a lack of time or a lack of money. And it can usually be balanced out by a lack of sleep and a few more cups pots of coffee. For better or worse, I am a yes-person. I am a we'll-figure-it-out person.

Which is stressful great and all, but I was really loving that my decision to get a PhD was on fairly rock-solid ground. It didn't contain a whole lot of shit-how-am-I-going-to-do-this and it allowed for a reasonable amount of sleep with out absorbing an unreasonable amount of money. In short? Living with my mom in CT for a few months was the key ingredient replacing shit-how-am-I-going-to-do-this. 

Until I found out that I have to establish a year of in-state residence in NYC to qualify for in-state tuition my second year of the program. If I don't, I have to pay out of pocket the difference between in-state and out-of-state tuition. (I'm fully funded for up to five years.) Which now makes it more expensive for me to live with my mom for a few months than to live in the city (because I'll have to pay the difference in tuitions in year two).

So. I guess I'm moving to NYC. This fall. And never buying anything ever again for the rest of my life.

Welcome back to my life, shit-how-am-I-going-to-do-this. You make everything oh so interesting.

[In light of this recent development, if anyone has any good suggestions on inexpensive less expensive (yes, relatively speaking) nyc neighborhoods that are safe for a girl who is often mistaken for a twelve-year-old, please let me know! Or any friends looking for a roommate? Or any really swanky cardboard boxes under the Brooklyn Bridge that are available? Sigh.]

2 comments:

  1. I am totally the same personality type as you! And I 1005 empathize with the whole "this-is-a-great-but-stressful-way-to-be." It sounds like you're gonna be able to figure out the future not matter what though! Good luck! NYC is a dream <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. let me work my magic my little love muffin..

    ReplyDelete