May 17, 2013

Recognition & Re-cognition

Yesterday, on my morning subway ride, I looked up and saw my reflection. Oh, yes, there I am. Not a passing thought, but steady and centered, it held onto me for a while. Hair half-dried, half-wet, black trench coat tied lop-sided with the belt hanging down to my knees, skinny jeans, and black ballet flats. A recognition, re-cognition, of the lines of my legs, the curves of my waist, the slight arch of my shoulders. Balanced and full and calm. There I am. Recognition and re-cognition, as if I had been missing all this time. All these years. As if I always knew I'd be standing there on the A train on a Thursday morning in my twenty-ninth year, despite and in spite and because of it all. Waiting for only myself. Oh yes, there I am.

Here I am. 


No comments:

Post a Comment