January 28, 2009

Snow Days

I love that I still get snow days. At the age of twenty-five, I still get to turn off the alarm, flip on the television, identify my school as closed, squeal with delight, and burrow back into the covers. For me, snow days still mean a postponed homework assignment, a break from lugging my l.l.bean backpack up and down the school stairs, hot chocolate at home, and at least the potential of daytime television.

Of course, there are some differences. The aroma of my mom cooking pancakes and bacon doesn't creep into my room and coax me awake. My l.l.bean backpack sitting by the door is not the traditional bookbag type. I now carry the "day hiker" with me, complete with its own hydration system. It is laughable, I know, but apparently code books are even heavier than grade school science books - who knew?! And although I always think about it, I have not yet gone sledding in my backyard during my "adult" snow days. This is probably due largely to the fact that I don't have a backyard, or that I have to dig my car out from under a foot of snow and drive the unplowed roads to the local sledding hill.

My snow days are now filled mostly with catching up on never-ending homework assignments, case reading, and cleaning, but I can't complain. I still get to ignore my alarm, spend some time on the phone with a friend, and sit in the cozy warmth watching the snow fall outside the window.

No comments:

Post a Comment