January 1, 2013

Two Thousand Thirteen Begins...


Untitled


I have been thinking a lot the past week and a half about this past year. How quickly it went by and how much has changed and how if someone asked me to describe it in one word it would be "action." I decided to go back to school, said yes to anything that involved friends and/or travel, quit my job, left friends I love in DC, moved to NYC, began yet another degree, weathered a displacement by Sandy, moved for a second time, launched myself into schoolwork and new relationships, went Christmas shopping, spent some quality time with family, slept, talked to Nicole, and watched the ball drop. Voila - here we are on the first day of 2013.

It was a year of literal and figurative movement. I loved it. It was one of the best years I've had in a long, long time.

It was also a bit of a whirlwind. I still haven't unpacked my boxes from my second move. I still have school books sitting on my brother's desk. I owe 17,000 people emails, text messages, phone calls, and visits. I'm never quite certain of my zip code.

More importantly, I write here far less. I haven't picked up my camera since early October. I'm more than a bit foggy on my intentions for the new year. All signs of disconnection with myself. *Sigh.*

It's easy to blame it on the busy and consuming school schedule. On the move. On both moves. On the thrill and excitement of living in a dream city. None leave a lot of time for reflection or expression or quiet observation.

This isn't the post I wanted to write to kick of the new year. I wanted sparkles and glitter and fireworks and french horns. I wanted to keep blogging the way I blogged a year ago, two years ago. But here's the thing: the less often I write, the harder it is to return to writing. I'm rusty and disjointed. I have at least a dozen half-finished posts sitting in my drafts folder. I'm rusty, then impatient, then frustrated, then I quit.

I started this blog on January 1, 2009 determined to return to blogging the way I blogged in 2006. I wrote despite the rusty disjointedness, the impatience, the frustration. And after about a year of consistent effort, I finally found my voice again. But here we are one more time. And again, despite the rusty disjointedness, the impatience, and the frustration, I'm determined to return to blogging the way I blogged in 2006 2011. Write more, take more photos, and invest in healthy habits - those were my resolutions* in 2009 and I'm returning to them for 2013.

Wishing you and yours a very happy new year!



*I actually am a bit anti-resolution and more into dreaming and scheming for the new year. But until I actually dive into that work fun, I'm going to start now with a list of resolutions. 


1 comment:

  1. I always think your writing is beautiful.
    But I know what you mean when you say that the longer you go without, the harder it gets to write again. I've spent far too long not writing - and just like you, one of my resolutions for 2013 is to write here more often. Even if I am awful at keeping my resolutions.
    Happy New Year!
    <3 Kiersten

    ReplyDelete